- Early acceptance: 2/28/2018
- International applicants: 3/31/2018
- General admissions: 5/31/2018
Admission requirements include:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution must be conferred before the intended start date.
- A cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 is required for candidates with bachelor’s or Master’s degrees. GPA is not required for candidates with MD or Ph.D. degree.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- A GRE general test score (verbal, quantitative reasoning and analytical writing), waived for MD or Ph.D., MCAT may be used in lieu of GRE.
- English proficiency requirement: A Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 80 for an internet based test (iBT), 550 for paper-based test (PBT) or 215 for computer-based test (CBT) is required for those who graduated from foreign institutes.
- A personal statement, including past experience and future career goals, is required as part of the application.
All applicants will be ranked by the program committee. At least two members of the committee will review each applicant and candidates and rolling admission will occur till fill program capacity.
Online Application Instructions
We accept applications through Allied Health Centralized Application Service (AHCAS) a common application system. All applicants must apply online through AHCAS which charges $95 (non-refundable) for the first application and $40 for each additional program. Note that only complete applications will be considered. We encourage applicants to upload unofficial copies of all application materials to their online application. Please note that this allows us to begin reviewing your application but does not fulfill the requirements of official documentation.
- Upload each document as a separate file (i.e. - do not merge your resume with your transcripts)
- The preferred file format is PDF.
- Files cannot have a digital signature or password protection.
- Each file must be limited 5MB or less.
Please email questions specific to the online application should be referred to Allied Health Centralized Application Service (AHCAS) . Please include the following information with your inquiry: User Name, Full Name and Phone Number
US and Canadian Transcripts
ALL official academic records including degree and certificate programs, English language programs, and incomplete coursework / degrees from all previously attended colleges and universities must be sent directly from each institution. Note that applicants with Canadian transcripts using French grading systems should follow the international transcript instructions below..
Electronic transcripts are accepted from schools that participate in Credentials Solutions. Click here to check if your school participates with this service. If your school does participate, click here to request your electronic transcripts be sent to AHCAS.
Paper Transcripts should be mailed to:
AHCAS Transcript Processing Center
P.O. Box 9127
Watertown, MA 02471
Statement of Purpose and Objectives
Your personal essay is intended to give you the opportunity to submit a narrative (1-2 pages) discussing your past education, experience, and current professional career objectives. Your statement of purpose should describe your:
- reasons for interest in the Master of Science in Skin Biology and Dermatological Sciences
- specific area(s) of research/professional interest in your application degree
- decision to join the thesis or non-thesis track selection (you may change your decision later)
- Career goals including how you hope to contribute to biomedical research
- demonstrated significant academic achievement by overcoming barriers
- describe laboratory work, internship(s), research project(s), publication(s), conference presentation(s), or assistantships you’ve completed.
Resume / Curriculum Vitae
All applicants must submit a complete, up-to-date resume / CV that includes all employment, research experience, community service, education and academic or professional honors. Be sure to detail all experience related to the discipline you are applying to including research experience, training, education or other related qualifications with bulleted summaries.
Letters of Recommendation
All applicants are required to submit three letters of recommendation from those who are best able to assess your ability to be successful in a graduate degree program. Ideally, your recommenders are recent researchers or employers in a related research or scientific field. Applicants should request that their recommender writes a letter that is specific to the discipline for which they are applying. Form letters and recommendations written for medical school applications contribute little to your application and are strongly discouraged.
You will be asked for your recommenders’ contact information on the online application. They will be sent an online form to complete via email. Applicants must submit a minimum of three to a maximum of five recommendations.
GRE General Test and GRE Subject Tests
Applicants are to submit GRE general exam scores taken within the last five years. When registering for the test, please request that your score be sent to University of Miami, institution code 5815.
Additionally, applicants may submit applicable GRE Subject Tests. While not required, strong performance in relevant tests will add to the strength of your application.
If you have completed the GRE exam(s) you may upload unofficial copies of your score report(s) with your online application while waiting for the official scores to be delivered.
Applicants who have attended institutions outside of the US and Canada are required to submit all official transcripts, mark sheets and a photocopy of their diploma(s) (with English translation when applicable). All post-secondary / university transcripts must be accompanied by a course-by-course transcript evaluation from the World Education Service (Select ICAP Report).
Official documents must be received before applications are reviewed.
Transcripts should be mailed from the evaluation service directly to:
AHCAS Transcript Processing Center
P.O. Box 9127
Watertown, MA 02471
English Proficiency Exams
International students whose native language is not English are required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores. This requirement is waived for applicants who have successfully completed 30 consecutive credits at the university level where English was the language of instruction or those who have passed the USMLEs. Test scores must be less than two years old.
TOEFL: When registering for the test, please request that your score be sent to University of Miami, institution code 5756. The minimum score is 80
IELTS: When registering for the test, please request that your score be sent to University of Miami, institution code 4862. The minimum score is 6.5.